Satisfy those winter cravings for comfort food–without a hint of guilt– with this creamy and delicious seasonal soup. This recipe is recommended by Active Personal Trainer & Lifestyle Coach Leah Golden.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 beet, chopped (2 if small)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
1 cup dried red lentils
2 bay leaves
4–5 cups water or stock
2–3 tablespoons light miso
- Scrub and chop carrots and beet. Remove tops of beet if present. No need to peel unless vegetables are not organic.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart pot; add onion and sauté until soft. Add carrots and beet; sauté a few minutes more.
- Finely chop rosemary and oregano leaves, if using fresh herbs.
- Wash and drain lentils. Add herbs, lentils, bay leaves, and water or stock to sautéed vegetables; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Let soup cool and puree in small batches in blender or use an immersion blender.
- Dissolve miso in ½ cup water and stir into pureed soup.
- Gently reheat before serving if needed and garnish with sour cream if desired..