This salad makes a delicious introduction to Romanesco, an edible flower bud similar to cauliflower. Recommended by Active Registered Dietitian & Personal Trainer Leah Golden.
For the Salad
1 head organic Romanesco
2-3 strips pasture-raised bacon (optional)
1/4 cup hazelnuts
For the Dressing
1 Tsp mustard
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp honey
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and thoroughly mix with a fork; set aside.
- Separate the Romanesco into bite-sized florets.
- Boil the florets in salted water for 7-8 minutes, or until tender. Drain into a colander and immediately place into an ice bath (to retain the dark color).
- Over medium heat, fry the bacon and remove onto paper towel, leaving the grease in the pan.
- Gently toast the hazelnuts over low heat in the remaining bacon grease.
- Mix the Romanesco, bacon and nuts in a serving bowl and pour the dressing over top; toss to combine. Serve immediately.