Kick off grilling season with these delicious and easy veggie burgers featuring artichokes–an antioxidant superfood and nutrient powerhouse. Written by Amanda Hershberg, Active Wellness Personal Trainer & Nutrition Coach at Synergy Health Club Petaluma. Find more recipes by Amanda Hershberg on her blog here.
Yield: 4 large burgers
1⁄2 medium onion finely chopped
1 ea 14oz can of cannellini beans drained
1 ea 14oz can artichoke hearts drained & chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped finely
1 cup rolled oats (gluten free if required)
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary (dried of fresh)
1 teaspoon thyme (dried or fresh)
1 ea zest of small lemon
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Sauté the finely chopped onion in a frying pan that has been prepped with a very light spritz of extra virgin olive oil. You may also use a dry pan. The onions are ready when they are translucent and begin to brown.
- Add the beans to a medium sized mixing bowl and mash roughly with a potato masher. You want them a bit crushed but not mush.
- Put the oats in a food processor or blender & pulse a few times until they are broken up a bit. Be careful not to accidentally make oat flour!
- Add the chopped oats to the mixing bowl that contains the smashed beans. Next, add all remaining ingredients to the mixture including the chopped artichoke hearts and cooked onions.
- Using your hands, mix all ingredients until they are well incorporated.
- Shape into 4 patties. Use your hands to squeeze the mixture into firm “burgers.” Place the patties onto a plate that has been covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking pad. Wrap the plate in plastic wrap and freeze for a minimum of two hours. Alternatively, you can refrigerate for up to two days but they are easier to handle when frozen.
- Prepare the cold grill with a spritz of olive oil to help prevent sticking (caution: do not spray a hot grill; doing so is dangerous). Place the patties onto the medium-hot grill and leave to cook until a nice crust develops then turn over. this typically takes 8-10 minutes but the time may vary greatly depending on the temperature of your grill.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately. Patties can be served plain, wrapped in lettuce, or on a whole grain bun loaded with traditional burger toppings. Enjoy!