Snackers will rejoice over these healthy treats–perfect for satisfying cravings during the tempting holiday season.
- 1 medium bunch curly kale (2 cups torn leaves)
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight for at least 6 hours)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (2 Tbs.)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
- Dash of cayenne pepper, dill, or onion powder, optional
- Begin with unwashed kale. Trim the toughest part of the kale stems, and cut or tear leaves into bite-size pieces. Fill a large bowl with water and place kale pieces in water. Swish the kale around so that any debris floats to the top. Drain, and dry completely in a spinner or with towels. Once dry, place kale pieces in a large bowl with enough room for mixing the kale with the cheese sauce.
- To make cheese sauce: combine soaked cashews; bell pepper; lemon juice; nutritional yeast; garlic powder; sea salt; and cayenne pepper, dill, or onion powder, if using, in a high-powered blender or food processor (a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix is the best for this), and blend until smooth.
- Combine cheese sauce and kale pieces, and use your hands to massage kale with sauce. (It’s fine if coating is uneven or if there are big globs of cashew cheese. In my opinion, the cheesy parts are the best part of the final product!)
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Spread kale pieces on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes or until crunchy.
Recipe recommended by Active Personal Trainer & Lifestyle Coach Leah Golden; contact her at Leah.Golden@activesportslubs.com.