Get back into the swing of weeknight dinners while fueling up on protein and vitamin C with this festive vegetarian entree provided by St Joseph Health. Find more healthy meal ideas from St. Joseph Health here.
- 1 cup frozen or fresh chopped bell pepper, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen or fresh chopped onion, thawed and drained
- 1 can [15 to 16 ounces] no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can [14½ ounces] no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce
- Vegetable oil spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded light Mexican mixed cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese
- ⅛ tsp. (heaping) crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup snipped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the bell pepper, onion, beans, undrained tomatoes, and salsa.
- Spray a 9-inch square pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Spoon 1 cup bell pepper mixture into the pan.
- Arrange 4 tortillas in the pan, overlapping as necessary.
- Spoon half the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Top with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Lightly spray a sheet of aluminum foil with vegetable oil spray. Cover the pan with foil, lightly sprayed side down to prevent the cheese from sticking.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for five minutes more, or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and cilantro. Cut into four squares.
Each serving contains about 272 calories, 5.5 g of fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, and 17 g protein.
*Recipe used with written permission from St. Joseph Health, our partner in health.