This protein and flavor packed salad does not disappoint! A rainbow of vegetables, chickpeas and quinoa make it a nutrient dense dish that is delightfully filling. No dairy and no added oils make this one appropriate for those following a whole food, plant-based lifestyle. Bonus: the raw dressing means that prep is quick and easy, You will love this unique plant powered recipe!
Source: Amanda Hershberg, CPT, Active Wellness Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor
For the Dressing
2 tablespoons raw cashews
1 ea Juice of 1 fresh lime
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 peeled whole mandarin orange seedless
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes more or less to taste
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger more or less to taste
For the Salad
1⁄2 ea Chopped Purple cabbage small size head of cabbage
4-5 cups fresh baby spinach
1 Cucumber sliced to matchsticks
1 Red pepper – diced
3⁄4 cup uncooked quinoa cook quinoa following directions on package
1 can garbanzo beans drained save the aquafaba for another recipe like fluffy vegan pancakes
2 ea large grated carrots
Fresh orange slices for garnish
- Dressing: Add all dressing ingredients into a NutriBullet or Vitamin Mix style blender. Blend until smooth. Allow dressing to sit while you prepare the salad.
- Salad: Prep and chop all vegetables as specified in the ingredient list. Combine in a large mixing bowl and toss with dressing. Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers.
- Try cooking quinoa in a rice cooker – simply follow the same directions as for white rice.
- This recipe makes a big family-sized salad! Try storing the leftovers in jars for a healthy grab-and-go-lunch.
- If you desire a smaller salad, feel free to cut the recipe in 1/2.