Pile on the veggies and the vitamins with this delicious Greek deli-inspired favorite, provided by our partners at St. Joseph Health.
Source: St. Joseph Health
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 eggplant (about a pound)
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 medium red potatoes
- 1 large, sweet onion (Vidalia, Spanish, or red)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Fresh oregano to taste
- 4 thick slices of a dense, crusty bread
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and cut eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, and onion into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Slice pepper into 1/2-inch strips.
- Halve the tomatoes.
- Lightly brush olive oil on cookie sheet and arrange vegetables in a single layer. Sprinkle oregano on vegetables.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Turn vegetables and bake 10 minutes more.
- Potatoes and pepper slices may need more time.
- Let cool slightly for easier handling.
- Create 4 open-faced sandwiches by layering vegetables with a little feta cheese.
- Return to warm oven to melt cheese and toast bread, about 5 minutes.
Each serving contains about 430 calories, 71 g carbohydrates, 15 g protein, 10 g fat, 775 mg sodium, and 13 g fiber.