Celebrate crab season and wow your guests with a crowd-pleasing appetizer that is quick to make and enjoy! Find more great recipe ideas and healthy lifestyle tips at www.stjhs.org/health-library. Serves 4.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (scallions)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Shred crabmeat.
- Mix with all other ingredients.
- Form into 8 patties.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray or an olive oil mister. Heat to medium high and carefully place crab cakes in pan.
- Let cook for 5 minutes undisturbed so crust forms. Turn carefully and cook for another 5 minutes.
- To make the avocado sauce, mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with a swirl of avocado sauce.
Each serving of 2 crab cakes contains about 148 calories, 26 g protein, 2 g fat, 102 mg cholesterol, 6 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, and 446 mg sodium.
Each serving of avocado sauce contains about 88 calories, 1 g protein, 8 g fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 4 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, and 15 mg sodium.