RED LIGHT THERAPY
What is Red Light Therapy and what does it do?
Known as Red Light Therapy, the Contour Light® system is FDA-cleared for use as a non-invasive dermatological aesthetic treatment for reducing the circumference of the hips, waist, and thighs. Contour Light® is also FDA-cleared for the temporary relief of minor muscle and joint pain, arthritis, and muscle spasms, relieving stiffness, promoting the relaxation of muscle tissue, and temporarily increasing local blood circulation.
Who Can Benefit?
Red Light Therapy is safe and effective for anyone who does not have a medical condition that reduces their ability to eliminate waste via the liver and kidneys. Patients are recommended to consult their physician before starting any type of diet or exercise program.
If you are pregnant, have sensitive skin or other health concerns please speak with your doctor prior to starting the Red Light Therapy treatments.
Will it help reduce scars?
Red Light Therapy is highly effective in treating a variety of skin conditions including acne, rosacea, psoriasis, burns, cuts, wounds and scarring.
How does this compare to similar red light therapy offered at a dermatology practice, tanning salon and/or at-home product? What grade is the light, etc?
The Contour Light® system offered at Active at NorthBay Health is 635nm, meaning the wavelength of light the device produces.
There are many versions of 635nm devices on the market, some are classified as a medical device due to the fact they are laser-based, while others are LED-based. Laser-based 635nm devices require physician oversight and cannot be operated by a non-medical technician without direct physician supervision. LED-based 635nm devices will not cause injury to patients or technicians, so they are much safer to operate.
What should I wear to my session?
For each session, you’ll want your skin exposed. It’s recommended that men wear shorts and women a two-piece swimsuit or bra and underwear, based on each individual’s preferences and comfort level.
What should I expect in my first session?
- All participants will need to set up and book their sessions after purchase here.
- Arrive at least 5 minutes early for your scheduled session.
- At your first session, an Active team member will take measurements to monitor your progress over the 16 sessions.
- When you arrive for your scheduled session, you will check in with the front desk.
- An Active Team Member will escort you to the Red Light Treatment Room to prepare for treatment.
- Participants will be given time alone to prepare for treatment in the treatment room. For best results, participants are asked to wear shorts for men and two-piece bathing suits for women.
- Once ready, a team member will return to set up the Red Light Therapy system on the participant by correctly placing the red lights for treatment.
- The team member will then turn on the system for a 30-minute treatment session and give the participant privacy in a quiet room.
- After a 30-minute session, the team member will return to remove the wraps from the participant
What does the treatment feel like?
Once in a private treatment room, participants lie down on a treatment bed with pads placed over the area(s) to be treated. Once the system is turned on, you’ll feel a slight warming sensation, but no pain or discomfort. During the treatment, you’ll have the option to read or use your phone/portable device, and some participants even take a short nap.
How long is each session?
Suggested treatment time for best results is approximately 30 minutes.
Should I expect any after-effects after my session?
No, but participants should undergo an exercise session on the day of treatment.
How long will it take to see results?
Most patients see a noticeable improvement within the first 2 or 3 treatments, some as early as the 1st treatment. The full series of treatments should address most patient expectations, but some patients may want to continue with additional treatments.
How will results be tracked/measured?
Circumferences will be taken before your first session and after your last session to help track results.
Will this be offered long-term at Active at NorthBay?
This is a pilot program at NorthBay Health and the program remaining at our facility is due to participation and interest in the pilot. Red Light/Contour Light is cutting-edge technology to help take your health to the next level. It’s the first representation of what is to come at NorthBay Health.